Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Favorite Crocheted Hot Pad Pattern


Today, I am going to share my all time FAVORITE hot pad crochet pattern!  I made this pattern up quite a few years ago but never wrote it down.  In fact, I remember making them for my mom when I was in high school (I have changed the pattern a little bit since then).  So, now, whenever I need a new hot pad, I get out one of my old hot pads and try to remember how I made it by looking at it, and sometimes even taking it apart.  Not a good way to do it, I know.So, I FINALLY decided to sit down and write the pattern out, and share it with anyone who would like to make one!  I know I will be thankful that I did this next time I go to make another one. This is my favorite hot pad, and the only one I make for myself because it is double layered, and it is a little bit bigger than most hot pads.  I tend to burn my fingers when I am taking stuff out of the oven, so this works a lot better for me. 

You know you are needing a new hot pad when you have to use a kitchen towel to get food out of the oven and it starts on fire!  So, yea, I better make a few more.


Here is the pattern:


Materials Needed:
Worsted Weight 100% acrylic yarn
Size H crochet hook


Abbreviations:
Ch: Chain
Sc: Single Crochet
Sl St: Slip Stitch
Blo: Back Loop Only


Notes:
-Gauge: 8 sts x 8 rows = 2” (5 cm) You can move up or down a crochet hook size if your gauge is not right.  For this pattern, though, don't worry too much about gauge, because we aren't making this to fit somebody, so it doesn't have to be perfect. 
-Finished Measurement:  8" by 8" (including the little ruffle along the edging)
-sc over your loose ends as you go along so that you won't have to weave them in later.
-For this entire pattern we are going to be working in the Back Loop Only (blo).  This will give the hot pad its textured look.  The blo (back loop only) is the farthest loop away from YOU (that is why we call it the back loop).  Normally we work in both loops while crocheting:

 

But, for this particular pattern, we will be working in the blo (back loop only):

Directions: (Make 2 of these)
With H Hook, ch 2
Rnd 1: 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, ch 1, turn (2 sc)
Rnd 2: Working in the blo now and throughout the rest of the pattern, 2 sc in each of next 2 sts, ch 1, turn (4 sc)
Rnd 3: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (6 sc)
Rnd 4: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (8 sc)
Rnd 5: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 6 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (10 sc)
Rnd 6: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 8 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (12 sc)
Rnd 7: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 10 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (14 sc)
Rnd 8: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 12 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (16 sc)
Rnd 9: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 14 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (18 sc)
Rnd 10: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 16 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (20 sc)
Rnd 11: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 18 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (22 sc)
Rnd 12: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 20 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (24 sc)
Rnd 13: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 22 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (26 sc)
Rnd 14: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 24 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (28 sc)
Rnd 15: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 26 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (30 sc)
Rnd 16: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 28 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (32 sc)


Here is how your hot pad should be looking:

Rnd 17: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 30 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (34 sc)
Rnd 18: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 32 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (36 sc)
Rnd 19: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 34 sts, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn (38 sc)
Rnd 20: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 34 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (36 sc)
Rnd 21: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 32 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (34 sc)
Rnd 22: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 30 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (32 sc)
Rnd 23: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 28 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (30 sc)
Rnd 24: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 26 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (28 sc)
Rnd 25: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 24 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (26 sc)
Rnd 26: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 22 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (24 sc)
Rnd 27: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 20 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (22 sc)
Rnd 28: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 18 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (20 sc)
Rnd 29: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 16 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (18 sc)
Rnd 30: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 14 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (16 sc)
Rnd 31: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 12 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (14 sc)
Rnd 32: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 10 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (12 sc)
Rnd 33: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 8 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (10 sc)
Rnd 34: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 6 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (8 sc)
Rnd 35: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 4 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (6 sc)
Rnd 36: sc first 2 sts together, sc in next 2 sts, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (4 sc)
Rnd 37: sc first 2 sts together, sc last 2 sts together, ch 1, turn (2 sc)
Rnd 38: sc next 2 sts together, fasten off (1 sc)
Make one more of these, and then move onto the edging instructions.


Edging:
For your edging, hold both squares together like this:







Rnd 1: sc evenly around the entire edge of your hot pad (you will be "sewing" them together with single crochet's).  When you get to a corner, sc in it three times.


Join with a sl st


Rnd 2: ch 1, (3 sc in next st, sl st in next st) around, join with a sl st, fasten off.


Weave in your loose ends, and you are done!!
Now make a bunch of these to match your kitchen!!  They make fun gifts for friends and family too!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been here since I installed your design but I saw this and I love it!! I am so making some of these! :)

    also can you email me, I have to change out the link for your title fonts because the way I did it before isn't going to work come september :)

    ReplyDelete